Saturday, March 14, 2009

I went to a local brush choked stream yesterday. I was in heaven casting dries to little naitive Bonneville Cutthroat trout. I picked my battles, avoiding pools I couldn't see fish in or couldn't cast into without a 95% chance of tangling my line into a web of dispair.






Same fish, differnt lighting. This little guy was about the norm for this stream. I cast to this fish over 20 times until I finally hook 'em (or her). Most of the fish in this stream, I could see. After about 3 changes in position, and three fly changes, I finally got a solid hook-up. Each time the fly drift over this fish, it would nudge it with its nose. Persistance paid off and I finally hooked it.

This was the largest of the day. I saw a little stream of water running down the hill into the stream. I followed the water up until I came to a small pool at the top. A small amount of water was flowing from a water diversion canal. I cast my fly right where the water came out. Right away my fly was slammed. But I missed the strike. I cast a few more times with a couple more missed strikes. I think this guy thought manna from heaven was flowing down to him. He never caught on I was about to catch him.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yes, I agree...that one is a good one to throw back...I like them only when they are large enough to eat.
Love, Mom