Thursday, May 31, 2007

40+ Fish Day

I went fishing all day today. I finished my 3 weight fly rod a couple days ago and this was my first time out to use it. A 3 wt rod is very flexible which makes even small fish a challenge to cooperate.

This is the first fish caught on this rod...


There were a couple older gentlemen on the river fishing with spin rods. They didn't have much for stream etiquette (they kept coming up and casting into the section of stream I was fishing in directly above me)but one of the guys took this picture for me...


This was a very odd fish. When it rose to the fly, I thought it was a BIG fish, in the large teens. But when I finally landed it (it took a very long time because it kept running on me)I was suprise ho short and stubby it was.





A helicopter kept flying overhead. I guess it was dumping water on this fire.



I had a great time and ended up catching over forty fish. I was having so much fun, I ended up going into town to eat lunch and buy more flies and went back and caught more fish. Most of the fish were 8-10", but a few broke the 12" mark. Of coarse I threw them all back to get bigger. I like catching fish, but don't care for messing with them once I can see how big they are. My favorite thing is when I get them up to me and then they release themselves. I don't even have to touch them, which decreases the chance of them dieing.

4 comments:

Michelle Y said...

It is clear that you are a true fisherman. I think its cool how much you enjoy it and spending time in nature. Over 40 fish huh? Do you take them all home to eat or what?

Mike and Katy said...

I changed my post to answer your question. 40+ fish is a conservitive estamate. I think this is the most fish I have ever caught in a day. I'm still glowing from the experience, and my arms are gleaming from sun burn.

Mike

Anonymous said...

I think it's better to catch seven fish in a day, because seven is the magic number. Think about it. Seven little chipmunks twirlin on a branch, eatin lots of sunflowers on my uncle's ranch. You know that old children's tale from the sea.

Mike and Katy said...

Step into my office...

Oh the memories